Tuesday, February 15, 2011

I *heart* Soup

This week I have an abundance of carrots, and a curiosity for something original to do with them. I have a GIGANTIC vegetarian cookbook that I get inspiration from. The basis for this recipe comes from the book, of course I tweeked it to make it my own. It got 3 thumbs up at dinner tonight. (Mine, my Moms, and my Sister-in-Law's)

I added yellow lentils to this recipe (yellow split peas) the addition gives the recipe some texture, a little added protein too. If you don't have them, never fear you can leave them out. Better yet, get thee to the market and get some! It's well worth the effort, I promise!


Carrot Cumin Soup

(8) 1 cup servings
164 calories, 33 calories from fat
  • 2 tbsps butter (yes, I used butter again!)
  • 1 medium onion chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic crushed or chopped
  • 1 lb carrots sliced (about 10 - 12 medium carrots)
  • 4 stalks celery chopped
  • 1 potato peeled and diced
  • Juice from 1/2 lemon (about 1 tsp)
  • 8 cups chicken stock - use vegetable stock if you'd rather, or what I actually used was 8 cups of water and 4 tbs better than boulion chicken flavor)
  • 1 1/2 inch piece ginger chopped fine
  • 3/4 tsp ground cumin
  • 2  bay leaves
  • 3/4 cup yellow lentils
  • 1 1/4 cups skim milk

Directions

Melt butter in large soup pot, add the onion and garlic, cook for a few minutes until translucent. Add the rest of the vegetables and cook again for about 5 minutes. Add the chicken stock, lemon juice, seasonings, and lentils. Cover and let simmer until the vegetables and lentils are tender.
Remove from heat, fish out the bay leaves and discard (I actually forgot to take out the bay leaves, so they ended up pureed into the final product. OOPS, it still tasted fantastic).Let cool for a few minutes.
Puree the soup in a food processor, blender, or with a stick blender. Oh how I love my stick blender! Once there are no longer any chunks in the soup add the skim milk and stir to blend.

Enjoy!
Much love,
Alisha xoxoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment