Saturday, February 5, 2011

Eggplant Satay Lettuce Wraps

I was really surprised at how tasty this turned out to be! Completely vegetarian, hearty and healthy to boot. Hooray for nummy eggplant. My 2 1/2 year old liked it too!


  • 4 tbsp vegetable oil
  • 1/4 cup soy sauce
  • 1 tsp coriander
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 1 clove garlic minced
  • 1" piece ginger grated
  • Juice of one orange
  • 1 unpeeled eggplant, cut into 1 inch dice
  • 1 container fresh mushrooms cut in 1/2
  • salt and pepper to taste
Combine the first 7 ingredients, (you can reduce the sodium by using lower sodium soy sauce w/out compromising flavor, if desired). Place eggplant and mushrooms in container suitable for marinading. pour the marinade over the veggies and let marinate for at least an hour, and up to 24 hours in the fridge. Turn the oven on to broil and line a baking sheet with foil. Turn the marinated veggies out onto the sheet and spread into a thin layer. place under broiler for 15 to 20 minutes, until the eggplant is done and the mushrooms just begin to caramelize.

Peanut Sauce
  • 1 cup peanut butter
  • 1/2 tsp coriander
  • 1/2 tsp cumin
  • Juice of 1 lemon juice
  • 1 clove garlic
  • 1 cup water
Combine all ingredients except water, place in small sauce pan, heat over medium heat, whisking in the water, cook until slightly thickened.

To serve place equal portions in lettuce leaves, drizzle with the peanut sauce.

If you are putting 2 T of the peanut sauce on each lettuce wrap you're looking at around 288 calories each. Though I had 2 servings of the marinated eggplant, and only used 2 T of the sauce total. My entire meal (2 stuffed lettuce leaves) was 473 calories.

Looking back on it now, I suppose the oil could be replaced with more juice, or even water in the marinade, but remember this, some fat is good for your body. I tend to be fanatical about the oil/fat in my diet, and I forget to remember to use good for me oils. Do as I say, not as I do!

:)
Much love,
Alisha xoxoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment