Saturday, March 19, 2011

PASTA!

I found myself CRAVING bread and cheese today. I almost broke down and bought a pizza. I made this instead. I found it in my great big book of everything vegetarian, and then tweaked it my way of course. The basil makes it really fragrant, and utterly irresistible!

Green Pesto with Whole Wheat Penne
4 servings
174 calories 16 calories from fat


  • 3/4 cup chicken stock
  • 3 1/2 cups pieces or slices mushrooms
  • 1 bunch asparagus cut in 2 inch strips
  • 10 oz green beans cut in 2 inch pieces
  • 1 cup whole wheat penne
  • 1/4 cup nonfat greek yogurt
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 2 Tbs shredded Parmesan cheese
  • 1/2 cup fresh basil
  • 2 Tbs. water
  • salt and pepper
Place the chicken stock and mushrooms in a small saucepan, bring to a boil and cook for about 3 minutes, drain off the liquid and set aside. You can keep the liquid for a soup or something later if you wanted.
In a separate pot, bring the green beans and asparagus to a boil and cook for 3-4 minutes, until crisp tender, drain and set aside.
To make the pesto combine the basil, garlic, yogurt and parmesan in a blender or food processor and pulse to desired consistency. Add the water a little at a time to get the consistency you want. Season with salt and pepper.
Cook the penne to desired consistency, drain and combine all ingredients tossing with the pesto. Garnish with more basil and parmesan.

I also cooked a chicken breast to go with this, because I have to have my protein. Some other good additions would be fresh chopped tomatoes, or some shrimp would be nice too!

Enjoy

Alisha xoxoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment